Dents and scratches on your car are surely damaging for the overall appearance of the vehicle and at times its functionality as well. Now, if the scratches or dents are not too severe you don’t have to rush to a professional mechanic always. In fact your toolbox and the basic DIY skills will suffice to straighten the car in a cost effective way. The article here is a brief on DIY dent & scratch repair.
- Locate the dent center & drill hole into it with 1/8 inch drill bit.
- Thread dent pulling equipment into just drilled hole and after it’s placed properly, flatten the car dent by either pulling in out or pulling on it.
- Now, hammer the dent front very carefully with your metalworking hammer- simultaneously make sure to stay firm with the dolly against the dent back.
- Use one medium sized grit disk placed on drill that will help in grinding paint down towards bare metal , expanding the space by minimum 1” around the car dent itself. Now, fill up the space with premium body filler.
- Let the filler dry up completely. After it has dried up, you have to go for a very careful sanding on the zone. Get a good sandpaper wrapped around wooden block. The experts suggest starting with 36-grit sandpaper & working up to 120-grit.
- Prime the zone with spray primer. You have to allow minimum 6 primer coats.
- Sand up the primer with 600-grit dry & wet sandpaper. Now, touch up the place with matching car paint.
- If your car has got a nasty scratch you have to start by sanding the scratch with a 240-grit sandpaper at first and then graduate to a 320-grit sandpaper.
- Go slow to assure a smooth & even surface. Deeper scratches demand sanding by 800-grit dry and wet sandpaper.
- If the scratched surface is finally smoothened and flattened, you have to take up a thorough clean up of the area to eliminate all the settled sand, debris and dust particles.
- Now, apply primer.
- There must be 3 color coats on the primed surface. Finish it up with a neat clear coat.